Total Pageviews

Teaching in SL

Over the years, I have been incorporating more and more technology into my chemistry classes. Here's a PP presentation I gave not that long ago. http://www.chem.tamu.edu/class/fyp/keeney/secondlife/Integrated%20Technology-its.ppt This fall (2010) will be my 3rd semester at trying to incorporate optional weekly review sessions into SL. Optional for a few reasons. (1) My classes are large; I teach two classes of about 250 students each, so obviously I cannot have everyone in SL at the same time. (2) I do have a few students under 18 - which is problematic. (3) Some students are very uncomfortable in SL. Here I'll be blogging about the trials/tribulations of encouraging students to get involved in SL. Here's the link to a video clip of a tour of my area: http://www.chem.tamu.edu/class/fyp/keeney/secondlife/drwendy-in-SL.mp4




Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Setting up my blog

Here I am outside Oslo in Norway, deciding how to set up my blog.  Hubbie is attending the Oslo Science Conference for the International Polar Year (he is President of SCAR - Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research) and I get to travel with him during the summer. 

I have spent months working on my SL corner of 12th Man Island - getting it up so that I can easily work with newbie students in SL.  I've learned quite a bit as well.  Over the summer and beyond, I will be sharing what I've done and if I've created it, you can go to my SL area and copy it.

2 comments:

  1. Wendy, I love your blog! What an excellent way to document and reflect upon your teaching experiences using SL. I am inspired to do something similar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cindy! I enjoy writing it more than I thought I would. It's a way I can document what I've put together and write about my decision-making processes as I build the content.

    ReplyDelete